Tuesday, August 19, 2008

School Has Begun

School has begun for Kacie, and house progress has seemed to slow. We still have much to do but now a smaller amount of time to do it in. We know God will provide the time for us to get it all done though! Like I said school has begun for Kacie, I'm taking Counseling people with Problematic Emotions, Old Testament 1, and Theology 1. I'm very excited about all of them, especially since I have so many friends in each class to study with. My reading load is crazy this semester but God will provide the time for me to do it!!!

Ross is still working on getting his schedule at work changed. So please pray for that. Right now we don't see each other much because of our schedule and we are becoming frustrated with it. We are so thankful for our weekends when we get to spend all our time together!!

We are both excited because our church, North Wake, is about to switch study-serve. What it is is for 6 months during one of the services we serve in the church somewhere (sound crew, sunday school teacher, prayer team, etc). And for the other 6 months we study (go to lifechange aka sunday school) during one service. Ross and I are very excited, Ross more so then me, because we are doing sound together. He hasn't been behind a sound board much since we switched to study 6 months ago and he's been itching to do it again. So we're really excited to be able to serve God in this way for the next 6 months! I love the way North Wake does this and really emphasizes serving God in our church and more over to take our service outside our church and to the community.

I have to tell yall about the best website to save $$ when it comes to groceries!! From another friends blog (Thanks Melissa!) I found out about the grocery game (www.grocerygame.com). I looked at it and signed up for it. What it does is take the coupons from the Sunday paper and matches them up with the sales at your selected stores. Telling you when to buy things for the cheapest amount. They tell you to buy things you will use EVEN if you don't need them at that moment because it will be cheaper to buy them now, then when you need them. Basically stock piling them until you need it. Sometimes there are even things for free on there after store sale and coupon!!! I was amazed when I walked out of Harris Teeter yesterday with $25 worth of groceries and only paid $6 for it!!! I called Ross to tell him what this site had done. You do have a monthly fee with the site but it's only $5 a month, however a 4 week trial is only $1. I figure if I can save $19 in just one trip I've paid for the site!!! You pick your store and just clip coupons. The best part is I saved money on things we'll use on a regular basis (Mr. Clean supplies, Hamburger Helper, etc)!! If you're gonna sign up let me know so I can give you my e-mail for who recommended you!!

So we do have an little bit of an update on the house. Our house came with no screens in the windows, yes there was a screen in the door from our room to the deck, and the back sliding door, but none in the window!! And if any of you know Ross and I for a good 2-3 months out of the year our windows are wide open and the AC is off. We really wanted screens before the end of the summer because we knew it was gonna get nice and save us money. We had heard from many people that getting someone to make screens cost a TON of money. So yesterday night we ventured into the wonderful world of window screen making. I mean from cutting the frame and putting it together to putting in the screen material itself. It isn't that hard!!! Surprisingly! I think the hardest part was getting the measurement right, but after a few trimming cuts we had it right. Here are a few pictures of us making them, Ross wanted me to help (a good thing) and not take picts so there aren't many. We got 5 of the 11 done last night. The rest will be done soon as the weather is gettin really nice at night here, upper 60s!


The beginnings of a frame.


Spline to hold the screen in.

Our first screen done!

Kitchen window screens.

Close up, a little bowed but it'll stretch.


My sister came down on the 9th and we got some time together talking and baking, o course! We made a stuffed crust pizza, that was so good. When Ross came home we watched Olympics and finished flooring the hallways. So for all purposes the house is floored. The only place you can see tar paper on sub-floor is 3 closets and small trim pieces. When Renee was here we tried to get here to use the huge saw ans she wouldn't be we did talk her into using the tack gun!! Once she used it once we weren't allowed to touch it again. It was much fun!! Here are some pictures of the finished hall.


Beginning the hall, we had to make the two rooms meet it was fun to say the least.


Taking a break to watch the Olympics.

What Renee did when she wasn't using the tack gun, play Battlefield 2. I have such a girly sister!! LOL

Almost done!

Hall way done!


The living room is getting into better shape!!!

We have started the front pink bedroom by marking all the divits in the walls. Both Ross and I thought this would be the easiest bedroom when it came to spackling but I guess we were wrong. There are no major holes but there are TONS of marks on the walls. The marking happened a week ago and well it's still marked out with nothing done to it, can't you tell school started??


Divits...

A calm wall. And I haven't moved the stack of wood yet!


The worst of it!


The calm wall.


More spackling!


We were also able to get our ceiling fan hung in the living room. After a little trial and error with the down rod it's up there safely. Apparently we needed a 24" down rod and not a 36" (BIG difference!!). So now we have a bigger fan in our crazy big living/dining room! It's only took us putting it up and taking it down 5 or 6 times to get it right.


Old fan down, and new plate in place.


The VERY small old fan.


Our bigger Hunter fan.


Finally up and going!


I almost forgot, here are pictures of our newly hung wood blinds (thanks again mom and dad!).


Our master bedroom windows.


Master bedroom door to the deck.


Our blinds again.


Kitchen blinds, we still have to paint in here hence the tape.



That's everything except for the list...

1. Finish wood in closets.
2. Use rest of wood to do entry
3. Killz extra bath, front room, and kitchen
4. Paint front bedroom, extra bath, hall, entry, and kitchen
5. Start putting holes in our lovely walls.... :-( to hang pictures.... :-) (It's good and evil thing!)
6. Look for tile because it's the next major project

So only 1 thing off the list....slowly but surly right?

2 comments:

David said...

you guys sure do need to make your way out here to visit sometime

david h

Anonymous said...

wow! looks really amazing. I love seeing how your house is coming along. also, I like your new haircut, Kacie! I forgot to tel you at the birthday party Saturday.